Business Director, Mastercard
The Business Director is responsible for the overall growth, management and supervision of the Mastercard account and team.
You’re responsible for proactively growing client relationships and regarded as a trusted partner solving strategic briefs with Imagination’s integrated creative thinking.
- You’ll have a sound understanding of the client’s business and how to drive and grow their business by devising and deploying experiential marketing We expect you to talk confidently about experiential marketing and content-led experiences: you’ll have a strong point of view - not about how they are delivered, but how they contribute to the client’s marketing mix and KPIs
- You’ll quickly earn respect as a trusted advisor, and be able to influence the client's decision-making up to and including CEO, CMO, and CFO
- You’ll quickly gain a deep understanding of what we’ve delivered for Mastercard around the world, and have a growth focus to diversify Imagination’s offer to the client by matching the breadth of our offer to their business and communication needs. You’ll be instrumental in developing and presenting initiatives to Mastercard, and responsible for winning work and growing our reputation with clients
- You’ll network Imagination’s Mastercard relationship around the globe, bringing the right people into opportunities at the right time. Leading teams within Imagination (locally and across the globe) with strong leadership skills, you’ll be accountable for their output and delivering the best solutions possible whilst maintaining the highest level of client and team satisfaction
- As the revenue owner, you’re accountable for revenue and direct personnel costs (both FTE and freelance). You’ll take staffing decisions based on the work pipeline and the resources needed to deliver. You’ll work closely with our Chief Financial Officer and Managing Director on operational and financial issues.
The role requires broad channel marketing experience, and the ability to apply a creative and strategic mind-set to all client briefs. You will be supported by account management and producer roles in the management and delivery of your clients' requirements.
- Has a sound understanding of the client’s business – their vision, values, competitive environment, industry landscape, strategy - and how to drive client success
- Leads pitching and presenting initiatives to clients
- Influences client’s decision-making, up to and including C-suite - seen as a trusted advisor, and available for issue escalation. Initiates and manages all client relationship-building activities. Leads client check-ins and responsible for satisfaction measurement
- Presents Imagination credentials, capabilities and ‘What’s New’ content with confidence - understands the breadth of Imagination’s offer, project history and partnerships. Creates compelling proposals, briefs and presentations
- Stays abreast of the latest in creative solutions and trends across all communication media and platforms - on screen, mobile communication devices, content production, music, live events/shows, business events, speakers, print communications, social media, popular culture and business thinking across the business landscape
- Build relationships with client’s key external agencies.
- Helps develop quality client briefs (reverse brief process)
- Represents client within Imagination and is the client custodian across strategy, messaging and brand
- Leads an integrated project team, respecting their individual skill sets and integrating their contributions to create a coherent, motivating and Imagination-quality response. Works closely with creative and production teams and third-party suppliers to develop briefs, timelines and standout proposals, followed by exemplary implementation
- Manages the case study production process.
Financial / Commercial
- With the Managing Director and Chief Financial Officer, develops annual revenue budgets and strategies to meet/exceed targets. Responsible for driving new business opportunities. Adept at identifying client issues that Imagination is uniquely qualified to solve. Meets/exceeds agreed Imagination KPIs (revenue growth and expanding client touchpoints)
- Accountable for nominated client revenue budgets. Annual revenue budgets will be tracked and reviewed monthly. Creates proactive plans for any projected revenue gaps
- Responsible for all commercial aspects including contracting, rate cards and service models. Ensures Imagination’s internal team complies with all contract terms and conditions
- Accountable for timely reconciliation and client communication (reconciliations < 2 weeks from project delivery).
- Strong leadership skills with exceptional communication and management experience
- Excellent team management skills, adept at managing multiple team members across multiple projects
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Understands and respects the role each person in the team holds, and ensures they rise to and realize their potential.
- Leads by behavior and attitude, not through position or tenure
- Thinks strategically – knowledge of Imagination’s and Client’s practices
- Inspires creativity and innovation – imagines creative solutions
- Drives results – achieves high levels of customer satisfaction
- Builds teams – strengthens others through constructive feedback and mentoring
- Exhibits professional excellence – demonstrates a strong sense of ownership
- Builds relationships – takes a consultative approach
- Champions change – supports new initiatives
- A positive, can-do attitude. The team works across a wide range of projects, often against tight deadlines
- Confident and engaging communicator and presenter
- Intelligent, ambitious and highly motivated team player with a commitment to quality, detail and professionalism
- Calm under pressure, extremely organized, pro-active with good interpersonal skills.
- Flexible, patient, able to prioritize and a good negotiator
- A flexible attitude to working hours. These are variable depending on project commitments; some long hours and weekend work should be expected from time to time
- Must be able to travel internationally for up to two weeks at a time
- Good problem solving and lateral-thinking skills
- Committed to seeing a project delivered and then going the extra mile
- Builds strong relationships
- Willing to learn and adopt new methods.
- 12-15+ years agency experience across multiple channels, including events, experiential, digital, social media, content production and marcomms programs.
- Previous producing experience working with corporate clients
- Has taken sole responsibility for delivering large and often complex event projects.
- Can present to clients with confidence in a compelling way
- Team player - must be flexible, inclusive, positive and helpful.
Candidates who are not US citizens or US permanent residents need to have authorization to work in the US in order to apply.
Imagination has values that set us apart from other communications agencies. These values and talents are the reason we stand out, they demonstrate what we stand for and are the things we most want to be known for. They are:
We breathe life into ideas, creating exciting opportunities
We demonstrate a deep understanding in all we do
We work together, delivering positive results for Imagination
We are totally dedicated to Imagination, our clients and our work
“Like a cross between McKinsey and IDEO, Imagination is equal parts right and left brain. The experiential marketing agency that refuses to be defined as an experiential marketing agency continues to refine the realm of live with some of the deepest strategies, the most mind-minding designs and teams staffed with some of the most elite marketers on the planet. With 13 offices in nine countries, celebrating its 50th birthday with some of the most complex, integrated, connected brand experience programs in its history.”
Event Marketer magazine, 2018 IT List citation