As Business Director, your objective is to deliver; operational profit expectations, exceptional client relationships, extraordinary work, growth opportunities and most importantly a dynamic and passionate team culture. This is a business role and a focus on growth and entrepreneurialism will be essential to your success. It is expected that you will build a leadership team of direct reports to help you achieve these business objectives. It will be your responsibility to help define ‘in the business’ and ’on the business’ responsibilities and expectations and keep them on task. Ultimately, you will be accountable for the output of this team; financially, creatively, culturally and the health of all client relationships.
Key clients will come to see you as the one who is building the best possible team to deliver outstanding work. Client’s will understand they have dedicated Client Leads to deliver their projects but take great comfort in the fact that you are an experienced safety net of confidence and quality control. As an experienced Client Service Lead, you will take ownership of any key pillar clients and assume responsibility, if for any reason, a client is without a dedicated lead.
With the support of your team’s Commercial Manager and Imaginations’ Directors you will strategically build and deliver upon annual business plans and financial objectives, meeting regularly to discuss and agree on solutions that counter the volatility often seen in our business. Balancing the needs of live projects whilst looking ahead to ensure a sustainable future for your team and the business will be ever-present, with the need to make quick decisions being fundamental to this role.
The role requires an inspired, motivated and highly organised professional with experience of leading and inspiring teams, growing a client base with significant revenues and delivering highly creative work for our clients.
- Develop Annual P&L budgets and strategies to exceed targets and ultimately be accountable for P&L performance
- Maintain a helicopter view of your ‘business’ with the ability to identify and respond to issues that may compromise the delivery of your business objectives. Key focus on your main P&L levers; Revenue and Direct Costs
- Engage your direct reports with this business imperative via regular meetings, reporting and task delegation
- Working closely with your Client Service Team, build annual revenue (by client) budgets; assign ownership, develop account growth plans, set measurable expectations and clearly outline reporting requirements and process accountabilities
- Working closely with your Executive Producer, build a process that aligns Direct Costs (FTEs & FLs) to forecast revenue, maintaining > 50% contribution margin at all times
- Engage, direct and lead the Commercial team to build processes and systems to track, measure and report in real-time so business decisions can be made quickly
- Lead weekly meeting with direct reports and company directors to discuss proposed actions against monthly variances. Identify issues and bring solutions to the table for endorsement
- Management of all staffing requirements within your Client Team, including issues management
- Regular team communication and collaboration with respect to the ongoing business, team and project performance
- Mentor and develop team as appropriate, providing training and support as required
- Regular resourcing reviews based on business performance, competency and culture / teamwork
- Develop and implement work processes which add value to the business, the client and the team
- Foster strong relationships between your team, other Client Teams, Studio resources and third party suppliers
- Accountable for any required disciplinary action within the team
- Responsible for team appraisals and ensuring Grow Forward plans are in place (with People & Culture team)
- Set the benchmark for living the Imagination values and delivering creative and client service excellence
Project & Client Leadership
- Account Management of self-nominated client relationships; performing Client Service role & responsibilities
- Develop strong understanding of client brand, products and competitive environment and ensure agreed brand strategy and messages are effectively translated across all work undertaken
- Development of FY Account Growth plans, in response to client FY revenue targets (budget)
- Achieve annual / monthly revenue targets; maintain revenue forecasts. Manage variances in real-time
- Performs Client Lead role as per Imaginations’ Our Way Process
- Drives client growth via new projects and repeat business ensuring the long-term health of the clients in your portfolio
- Manages the creative development process and is able to assess creative concept against creative brief and the client’s brand/business objectives
- Plays internal client and is the client custodian across; strategy, messaging and brand
- Monitors all aspects of projects including proposal, budget and schedule development and delivery
- Able to lead the pitching and presenting of ideas to clients
- Able to influence client’s decision making up to and including Senior Management (seen as a trusted advisor)
- Able to present Imagination credentials and ‘What’s New’ content with confidence
- Responsible for all commercial aspects; contracts, rate cards, service models and ensuring internal compliance
- Liaise and negotiate with procurement to secure favourable contract agreements on Imaginations behalf
- Client check-in, satisfaction measurement and available to client for issues escalation
Leadership skills required:
- Ability to approach opportunities from a commercial, creative and multi-disciplinary perspective
- Strategic with an ability to think ‘on the business’ and ‘in the business’ at all times
- Commercially orientated and knows how to drive results for clients and Imagination
- Solutions orientated with the ability to make timely decisions
- Exceptional communicator - to client and the team
- Able to clearly engage and delegate ‘on the business’ tasks to core team
- Leads by behaviour and attitude, not through position or tenure
While the above list is long, ultimately your success in the role will come down to your ability to adequately share the responsibility and accountability of these tasks, while leading the team to deliver on them together.
Check out the Sydney office
Learn more about what makes Imagination so unique and how you might thrive in our collaborative culture.